Around here (in Louisville), you can’t go far without seeing BROWN. United Parcel Service employs over 20,000 people to service it’s Worldport Air Hub. That place is an engineering marvel – near perfect management of conveyors, scanners, airplanes, semi-trucks, and people. All for the sake of the package! Yep, they know logistics. Click here to go behind the scenes with the UPS Logistics Campaign.
UPS knows logistics. They love logistics. Do you? You should. After all, you carry the most valuable package of all – the gospel. Logistics is: the planning, implementation, and coordination of the details of an operation. Our package needs delivery… and fast! It’s not fragile, just precious. It’s vital and it’s about time it become viral. Will you deliver?
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed ? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard ? and how shall they hear without a preacher ? And how shall they preach , except they be sent ? as it is written , How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! … So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. -Romans 10:14-17
We are merely news-men. Delivery-boy disciples. Christian couriers. That’s it! Jesus already made the news – He IS the good news. And this news needs little-to-no editorializing. We don’t have to add commentary, we just need to publish it. “Extra! Extra! Read all about it!” Logistics: from it’s Source, through me and you, to the ears of the hearers, into their hearts… so they may be saved.
The Church isn’t mobile enough. The current state of empire-oriented religion has tied brick and mortar to the gospel in such a way that it’s getting locked into a place. Churches have become warehouses of the truth instead of distributors. We need messengers – delivering the good news. Jesus commanded us to take the gospel to every ‘critter’ (that’s Southern for creature). As Curtis Hutson said many times: “We need to turn our Welcome mats into a Will-Go.” We have strapped ourselves to the Gospel – and we’re slowing it down. Somethings terribly wrong when people have to leave their lives to come to church. No! Church should be invading life and infiltrating culture with the gospel of Jesus.
We will never multiply by assembling groups and seating them neatly into pews for an hour or two a week – not even three or four hours a week. We’ve got to train, equip, and mobilize Christians. We need to de-centralize the church. You don’t like it when the government gets too big & powerful – so how is the church any different? Cut the emphasis on gathering and start scattering. Let’s stop hiding behind our websites and church billboards – calling it outreach. It’s time to reach out and evangelize:
1. Print & distribute more gospel tracts – not just invitations to church.
2. A good witness must have a credible lifestyle. Live the gospel in your actions and reactions.
3. There is NO substitute for a bold tongue surrendered to God. Share the gospel. Faith comes by hearing the Word. Your personal testimony has power – and no one can share what you can about what God has done for you.
4. Set aside time to teach someone else – don’t worry about starting a class or program if you can’t disciple one. Training builds a little confidence and helps the newbie deal with fear. Teach a class about sharing your faith (Syllabus: PDF PUB).
5. Provide all the tools necessary. The proper equipment is essential to effective logistics. Jesus told us that the most important element of our mission is the Spirit. He is the secret to our boldness and to their tenderness.
6. Give other Christians / church members a reason to go. Our folks need a good reason to really step out of their comfort zone. Special days at church, seasonal emphases, and other programs might be a good help – but the greatest motivation is going to be the reality of a God to please in Heaven and of the damned souls in Hell.
7. Last, but not least, just go. As you are going, be telling. As you are going, be winning. As you are going, be discipling. As you are going…
If people wanted religion, they’d come into your church. But there are many people is such tremendous need without any knowledge of the real answer. “Instead of bringing people to church so we can bring them to Christ, let’s take Christ to the people.” (-Neil Cole, Organic Church) We’ve got to stop feeling good about waiting on them to come to us and go to their rescue. They need redeemed and reconciled. God is willing. Are you? So what are you waiting for? Close this silly browser and GO!
Logistics: Plan. Implement. Coordinate.
The price is paid. The gospel is powerful. People are waiting. God is watching. It’s time to go…